Monday, August 3, 2015

August 3, 2015: Inspirational tacos and syukeihs

This week has been full of miracles. I feel like a robot when I say that, but it's true- every week we see miracles around every corner and in different ways. It's been a kind of rough week as far as numbers go, but those don't really matter- we helped lots of people come unto Christ this week and that is what is important.

Brother Chan is doing awesome. He passed his baptismal interview and he is truly so so so excited for his baptism. The members were really supportive on Sunday when they announced it and they are all so excited. He's scheduled to be baptized on Sunday right after church. We are going to review Joseph Smith with him this week and keep helping prepare him to share his testimony. We're even preparing a musical number with some ward members to sing at his baptism. It'll be really good.

We didn't get to see Elizabeth last week. Her mom is having some health problems and I think she's really stressed about it, and she has a niece preparing to get married this weekend so she's just really busy. But we're seeing her tonight and hopefully can keep teaching her. She is really willing to learn, just really busy.

We taught our less active Kasey this week, and she says she wants to come back to church. She promised she'd come, but didn't come to church this Sunday. We are going to keep working with her and support her in her decision to start coming back to church. She's been really, really good at reading her scriptures and praying though, which is good because she used to not really read her scriptures hardly at all. We're so proud of the progress she made.

We're working with a couple of less active brothers, Joe and Kenson. (They are not related.) They both have the same problem- they're less active and they know it and they know it's not the best choice for their lives. Both feel awkward during lessons when we share with them messages that are tailored to their needs. If you have any suggestions about how maybe we can help them feel a little less awkward about meeting with us, that'd be great.  They're willing to meet, our lessons are just awkward.

We decided to give Brother Kwok a little bit more time. He told us that even though his desire is there, he wants to wait until he's really old to be baptized- probably because he wants to wait for his mom to die first so he doesn't disappoint her. Someday some missionaries will pick him up agian- that's what they do with an eternigator. Its definitely an interesting process. I know he'll be prepared to heat the gospel again someday.

We spent some time out on one of our outlying islands, Cheung Chau this week. SO dumb. There are so many tourists and the island is so complicated to find your way around. I am glad we went out there, because it helped us know that it's not really worth it to go out there very often. Past missionaries have told me that but no one has been out there in months. We tried to track down some lost sheep but didn't have too much success. We probably won't go out there again for a few more months, at least.

So for the title. First of all: A syukeih is a summer missionary! These next two weeks I'm on permanent splits with an 18 year old member of the Tung Chung ward named Sister Kong. She's super cute and I'm way excited to be serving with her. It gives members a chance to get out and experience missionary work in the real world. Pictures to come later or maybe next week. (This dumb MAC is too small and has no usb plug. SO LAME. macs are SO LAME.)

So inspirational tacos. Last week I lost the ring that my parents gave me for graduation/Christmas my senior year and I was absolutely devastated. I don't EVER take it off so it literally fell off my finger and I can't comprehend how.I was so sad. It happened right as I started really working to pray for patience, so I figured it was a trial of my faith. I prayed or the strength to not be distracted by it and just let it go, and prayed that I'd find it in the Lord's time. Well, I had the thought to make lettuce wraps for lunch one day and started cooking the stuff and had the inspiration to use some taco seasoning my mom sent me to make taco lettuce wraps. As I was pulling out the taco seasoning, my ring fell off the top shelf of our cupboard. I don't have the slightest clue how it got there, but I know that I found that ring as soon as I gave my entire will to the Lord and wanted to forget about world things. I am so grateful for the lessons we learn as missionaries, no matter how small and simple they may be.

Thanks for all the love and support. You're all the best! Love you all!

-Kuk Jimuih (:




No comments:

Post a Comment