Monday, October 6, 2014

October 6, 2014: People Pay a lot of Money for Cockroach Covered Pants

To say this week has been a miracle/whirlwind of a week would be an understatement!! So many miracles. And cockroaches.

Tuesday was pretty good. We had the opportunity to drop by Kelly's house and leave her with some brownies. She did not end up getting baptized this week, but that's okay. She doesn't think she's ready. We'll just keep her in our prayers and help her gain her own testimony. She's super cute and so willing to learn. Love her! Tuesday we did splits again so I ended up in CSW with the other sisters I live with. We visited Lam Pohpo again... so cute. I love that old lady. We gave her a baptismal date! She's so funny and could talk your ear off for ages. But the true miracle was the phone call I got. So Monday, the other sisters lost their phone and had been using ours to contact the office about getting their new phone. So when the phone rang with the office, I answered hesitantly- then they said they wanted to talk to us, because they had a church headquarters referral for us. WOW. WHAT a miracle! They said her name was Cherry, and she had met the sisters in June, but wasn't interested and only gave them her email. turns out she was looking at Mormon.org (since we sent in her email and they sent her Mormon messages and things) and decided she wanted to learn more. I called her as soon as I got her number and scheduled her for the next day.

Wednesday, we met Cherry. WOW. She had a billion and a half questions and was so prepared. She's so cute. She's in her late twenties and works for an insurance company. We taught her about the Godhead and were just amazed that God blessed us with such a miracle.

Thursday I found a cool scripture- Romans 8:35-39. If you get a chance, you all should read it. It's good. We had the opportunity to visit Janda! FINALLY. After a month of her being super busy. She called 5 minutes before our lesson at 11 that morning and cancelled- but said she wanted us to come over to her house to meet her husband (INSANE miracle.) and she'd buy pizza. Pizza here is different- we had one with sweet and sour sauce and chicken and vegetables on it, and then one with thousand island dressing and seafood (squid, shrimp, something else...) but both were really good. We rescheduled her baptismal date for November since she still hasn't come to church yet.

Friday was such an adventure. After zone training, we ate crepes. My crepe was filled with mango ice cream and kiwi. Mmmmm. so good. Before English class we taught Cammie and her two kids the Restoration. So awesome! Then we went to English class. Elder Hartwig taught about travel, and I have to say he's really good with Cammie's kids. They're both totally crazy (what 5 and 6 year old isn't?) but he kept them super entertained the whole time. So good.

Saturday we had another lesson with Cherry and taught the Restoration. Afterwards we planned to make pretzels with Kelly. My companion invited Cherry to come along with us to make said pretzels- and she agreed! And Penny, Cherry's fellow-shipper (recent RM) brought her younger sister Trisha, who is kind of an investigator.  The picture is Trisha, then Penny, then Cherry. Kelly was there too but she was talking with her fellow-shipper, Jaime, so they didn't want to help make pretzels. But we all enjoyed them and it was awesome. Afterwards there was a CES fireside broadcast and all three of them stayed! Another miracle!

Sunday, Cherry came to church! Afterwards we taught her about fasting, since she asked. Cammie also came to church but she was late, so she didn't want to interrupt sacrament meeting, so she took her kids up to the primary room and waited up there. Sister Gwok (Sister Ding's friend- met once like a month ago) actually came too. She said she didn't want to come because she was embarrassed because last time her baby cried in sacrament, so she didn't want to bother people. But her fellow-shipper, Sister Hung, called her and Sister Gwok promised she'd come. Well, she never showed up. Turns out she came...and brought her husband, AND a friend, and her two kids. but for whatever reason, the downstairs door was locked...so she couldn't get in. She rang the doorbell and said she waited forever, but no one came... I felt so sad. We were so sad. We're meeting her again tomorrow though so hopefully we can convince her to come back next week. We taught a less active sister who is busy with school last night.

So that's my week in a nutshell.

Oh wait. Cockroaches. yeah, opened my closet last night and there was this cockroach about an inch long chillin' on the wall. So of course I freaked out because I wasn't expecting him to be in there. And then Sister Tu'Avao grabbed my shoe and started smashing him to pieces... and then it fell on my pants and she continued to smash it till its guts were everywhere and it was just an adventure. I mentioned that I now have gross cockroach covered pants, and sister Lubeck so gladly informed me "Don't you know that people pay a lot of money for cockroach covered pants?" Yep, funny moment of my week.

Love you all. Thanks for the prayers- we can really feel them. Pray for more miracles and pray for the China Mission to reach 65 baptisms and 65 reactivations in December! it's a big goal but it's totally possible. Miracles are real, and so is God's love!

Ngoh ngoi leihdeih!
-Kuk Jimuih
P.S. (Sister Crook answers many of mom's questions)
(In reference to the package we sent her a week ago): No package yet, but that's typical. usually takes two weeks-ish. And it's hard because the mail goes to the mission office and I almost NEVER go up there... but the CSW sisters I live with do so hopefully they'll pick it up for me when it does come. I'm excited for the cheesecake! Brilliant.

(In reference to sending family names for the temple):
Temple names will be hard. Idk where to pick them up and stuff... we have 5 sisters that go once every nine weeks. No initiatories- you do those. I can take a few, but I don't know if they'll let us do them. I can try  though. all else fails I'll mail them home. Next temple trip is sometime in November... we don't know yet though. Transfers are October 23, so it'll be a few weeks after that.

(In reference to Elder Wong's talk in conference spoken in Cantonese): Yes, we actually knew about the Cantonese talk since when Elder Rasband came a month ago... but were asked not to spill the secret. We are all so excited and we get to see it this Saturday/Sunday. Elder Wong spoke to us at that same meeting with elder Rasband, and I have a hard copy of a picture of all of the missionaries with all those general authorities. It's really cool. I can't believe i can speak that language either... pretty nuts. Cantonese really is beautiful though, and sounds WAY better than Mandarin. mandarin is gross. Haha.

(In reference to our new house we are building):
I'm excited to see pictures of the house, so keep them coming! tell everybody I say hi.

(In reference to Jaiden's graduation from treatment this week): Tell Jaiden I'm so proud of him. His experience would make him an incredible missionary, but he may need time to learn that one on his own someday.

I too am so grateful for my savior. Without Him, I would've come home a long time ago. His love is what keeps me looking up each day, even when things get so hard that I literally want to jump on a plane to come home. I can't deny these people that love. God sent me to Tsing Yi to serve these people, at this time, because he knows I'm the only one that can help them.

(In reference to a question about what language do they use most):  At home, we speak Chinglish. There are a few words every day that sneak into my vocabulary, like... geiwuih- opportunity. I'm still struggling to understand, but it's coming slowly. Speaking is slower, uh it's coming too.

(In reference to the language most people speak): Cantonese is the main language, but almost everyone also speaks Mandarin and English. The younger generation especially speaks English. Cherry, for instance, has almost perfect English. She's cute. We just assume people speak Cantonese. We have a lot of Filipino women and Indonesian women here working, so we if they look totally lost when we approach them we speak English and usually it's pretty rough, but it's good. It'll come someday!

Love you all! Thanks for the food that's coming, too!

Mango ice cream and kiwi in a crepe

Heavenly!

Fruit salad

Making homemade pretzels (Sister Crook loves Chinese food but is hungry for some American food too)


Cooking is always a good missionary tool



Banana phones


Kill the cockroach!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment