Monday, February 23, 2015

February 23, 2015 Happy Chinese New Year!

*Note from mom: This was the first time EVER we didn't get photos.  Maybe next week.

I'm so blessed to have the opportunity to be serving in China during Chinese New Year. It truly is the coolest experience ever. WE started off the year of the sheep with a bang! Everyone you see everywhere is always saying four character phrases, such as "Santai ginhong!" (have health) "Gung hei faat choih" (have wealth) and "Sam seung sih sihng" (something about getting all your heart's desires). It's pretty cool. People also give out these things called "red pockets" with money in them. I got quite a few from members and random strangers on the street, and all the money goes back to the general missionary fund. Who'd have thought that the random strangers on the streets are helping out the missionaries? Haha. We also got to see a lion dance. People wear this big lion costume and dance around and light off MASSIVE firecrackers in front of stores- supposed to bring luck or something for the new year.

Thursday we had the chance to clean out our house. And I mean literally. It took us like.... all day. We finished studies, ate lunch, cleaned, ate dinner, cleaned, planned, and cleaned. But now our house is beautifully sparkly clean and it's SO GREAT. Man, I never thought I'd say this, but I miss deep cleaning things! You just feel so good afterwards. (That and it's a good stress relief.) It's been pretty rainy for the last few days, and the humidity level has skyrocketed. my hair is like a lion's mane. It's great.

Sorry I don't have a ton of time today to write, or a lot of exciting things... both our investigators are doing well. Lan Yi is on track to have a baptismal interview this week! Woo.

Oh, also transfers are this week. So next week I may or may not be in Tsing Yi. So that's fun.

Yep, that's the end, folks. Thanks for the love and support!

Love Sister Crook

P.S.
(about the progress of our new house): House is looking good. I'm sure I'll be excited to come home, but right now my focus just really needs to be on the people I'm serving here... I can't tell you how much I love the people here. Chinese people are the best. Especially when they speak English. super funny. I've become really close to the members, and Cherry (recent convert) has become an awesome friend to me. I'd come back to Hong Kong just for her in a heartbeat. she's hilarious. She'll have to visit us sometime.

Oh that reminds me. Some members here may come visit us someday... apparently they have good family friends like, right outside of Boise and promised to stop by to say hi when they visit Idaho. They go every couple years or so to America to visit their daughter. so you better learn some Chinese so you can communicate! haha.​

oh I forgot. I ate chicken feet yesterday.​  Skiny. Haha. not very good. you literally slurp the skin off the bones, and that's it. super... mahfaan... umm, inconvenient? to eat. really hard to eat. yep. can't speak English anymore.​

No comments:

Post a Comment