Friday, July 11, 2014

July 11, 2014: Handwritten Letter to Makynlee

Chen ngoi ge Makynlee,

When you remember who your new teacher is, tell me.  I'm glad you all had fun at Lagoon.  Did you make dad ride Wicked?   There are several wugwai in the lake by the tidal wave.  There are also lots of frogs and fish.  I'm also glad you had a good party.  I heard from mom that you one o your friends forgot her lunch and threw a fit about it.  That's definitely not cool.  I'm also glad you got to see Madeleine.  Cousins are fun.  I might get to be one of the missionaries waving on the curb when Aaron gets here in a couple of weeks.

I actually got to do that this week.  It was really run to see so many new missionaries.  It was kind of sad to watch the families dump their missionaries, but that's okay.  I got to be the missionary that helped my friend Emilee!  I took her to get her name tag and books.  Turns out she just lives on the floor below me so that's fun.

I very highly doubt you'll be able to speak Cantonese when I get back, because I honestly don't know if I will even be able to.  It is such a hard language.  But I'll keep trying to send you new words.  I just look most of them up in my dictionary.  I really only know gospel words and basic conversation.

Vocabulary:
watermelon:  saigwa (sigh-g-wah)
pineapple:  boloh (bo-lo)
orange: chaung (ch-ah-ng)
lemon: nihngmung (neng-moong)
grape: pouhtaihji (po-tie-gee)
grapefruit: saiyau (sigh-yow)
awkward: leuhngjeuhng (lung-jung)
Holy Ghost: Sihnglihng (sang-lang)
gospel: fukyam (f-oak-yum)

There is no Cantonese word for minion, sorry.  Also, practice volleyball, so we can play together when I get back.  I play almost every morning here.

Thanks so much for the package.  It was really cute!  Love you,

Kuk Jimuih

P.S. I miss you is ngoh seungnihm leih (no-sung-neem-lay)

P.P.S I liked that you wrote your letter in sparkly pen.  That's cool.


















No comments:

Post a Comment