Wednesday, July 9, 2014

July 9, 2014: Handwritten Letter to Mom

Dear Mom,

We had a pretty profound talk between the sisters in our district tonight.  For companion study we decided to all share what we read about.  I shared the story of how Korihor denied Christ, asked for a sign, was struck dumb, and then was squished and "trodden down."  Real profound ha ha.  But then we got talking about how many testimonies Korihor probably destroyed.  Just something to think about.

But the thing that really got us going was the thoughts of our sweet Sister Hadley.  Her grandpa passed away last night.  They called her out of class to tell her.  When she came back we all just knew what happened.  It was heart breaking.  Last night's devotional was all about the spirit.  Elder Neil L. Anderson spoke about how we will be surrounded by angels.  Anyway, we got talking about how WE will be surrounded by angels.  Then Sister Killpack told us about a boy in her ward who told his family he wanted to start his papers.  The day after he started them, he died in his sleep of an asthma attack.  Just before his funeral, the mom got a call from President Hinckley that her son's mission call was to the spirit world.  As soon as she told me that, I was totally overcome with emotion as I thought of your cousin Doug.  I know you probably already know this, but I truly believe that his mission in heaven was far greater than his mission on earth.  I want you to know that I have such a testimony of God's plan for us.  Everything we go through happens for a reason.

I also have a strong testimony of angels I have here by my side are real.  I know Doug is here.  I know that Grandma and Grandpa Hendricks are here.  Grandma is probably here as I practice piano.  I'm sure Grandpa Yancey is here too.  I know with all my heart that the angels walk these halls.  My family is here cheering me on as I bear a simple testimony, and they kneel with me as I pour my  heart in prayer in a language I barely understand.

I love this gospel.  I am so blessed to know that I have something stronger than Helaman's army behind me- my family, both living and from beyond the veil.  I am grateful for my love of my family history and I am very proud of my awesome ancestors.

Love,
Leui Crook (Daughter)

No comments:

Post a Comment